How can I extend my Working Rights/Visa in Australia? 

Australia is a BIG country! Will 12-24 months give you enough time to do all the things you want to do? Whether you are seeking to extend your current visa or looking to transfer to a different type of visa, we have penned this blog to introduce you to some of the avenues that may align with your specific preferences and eligibility. 

Specified Work 

Most travellers on a Working Holiday visa can apply for a 2nd or 3rd year if they complete a set amount of days specified work prior to the expiry of their current visa (currently 88 days within first 12 months). This is an almost certain way to extend your time in Australia and often compliments your adventure in many instances. 

Check out our blog for more information about Specified Work 

Skilled Visas 

In some instances, qualified Educators are eligible to apply for a Skilled Visa either while onshore or offshore, allowing them to possibly live and work in Australia for up to 5yrs. These visas can take 3-6months to process, however you can still stay in Australia and work whilst it is pending in most cases. There is a cost associated with a Skilled visa, but it can often lead to Permanent Residency, so well worth considering. We work closely with migration agent Darren Chatt at Visa Go who can offer expert advice and guidance around which type of Skilled visa could be most appropriate to you. You are also able to apply individually, without professional support, should you receive an invitation following successful completion of the Skilled Visa Points Calculator. Check out a recent webinar recording featuring anzuk and Darren unpacking both Skilled visas and Sponsorship or schedule a consultation with Darren here. 


In some cases you could be considered for Sponsorship – meaning that a school/setting may offer to sponsor you for a set period of time exclusively. These roles could be in both regional and metro areas. Please note that the majority of Sponsored positions are for Secondary Science, Technology, English, Maths and Special Needs roles. Speak to your consultant for further information about this pathway and/or watch our recent webinar here. 


Free Trade Agreement for British citizens 

Great news for British passport holders! 

  • From 1 July 2023, UK passport holders will be able to apply for a Working Holiday visa between the ages of 18 and 35 years inclusive. This is a five year increase from the current maximum age of 30 years inclusive.   
  • From 1 July 2024, UK passport holders will be eligible to be granted Working Holiday visas up to a total of three years without having to meet any specified work requirements should they still meet age eligibility. 


This actually means that any British passport holder arriving in Australia after the 1st July, 2023 (that has not held a 417 visa previously) will not need to consider completing any Specified Work to extend their stay, following the removal of this clause on 1st July, 2024 


Visit the official website to find out more. 


Should you have any further enquiries around extending your stay in Australia please reach out to your consultant or contact us at 


Please note that anzuk education cannot advise or offer guidance around migration to Australia – we suggest you contact a qualified migration professional such as Darren Chatt at VISA GO for official information.