If you’re a Kiwi Educator moving to New South Wales, Australia, this guide is for you! Keep reading to learn how to register to teach…


The first step in gaining registration as a teacher in NSW is applying for a Working With Child Check. This is valid for 5 years, costs $80 and the processing time is around 4 or 5 days.  

To apply for this check you must take all your proof of identity documents in to a Service NSW centre to have them verified, so this step must be done on arrival.  

Once you have arranged an Australian mobile number, complete the online application and enter the details of your identity documents. You will receive an email receipt with an application (APP) number and information about next steps. 

You might also want to open an Australian bank account before you arrive, so you can collect the Eftpos card and have another form of ID.  

Identity documents you can use are below (you need 4) 

For the Commencement of ID requirement, your NZ passport and other IDs will be accepted. 

  • Current passport issued by a country other than Australia  
  • Overseas drivers licence 
  • Birth Certificate (verified) 
  • Bank statement or letter up to 12 months old, issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International including the applicant’s family name and first name in full, account number or account type, and financial institute letterhead or financial institute branch stamp. 
  • Current credit or account card issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International displaying the applicant’s family name and first name in full and signature 
  • Australian Utility bill showing the applicant’s name and address up to 12 months old 

Make sure:  

  • all documents are in the same name (if not, a change of name or marriage certificate will be required) 
  • must be the original document and must not be laminated 
  • documents must be current and include at least one photo ID. 

Once you have your WWCC (Working with Children’s Check) clearance, you can apply for NESA (NSW Standards in Education) 

Getting accredited with NESA for the first time (Initial accreditation) 

Accreditation is an annual fee of AU$100 and can take 5 to 20 working days to process.   

Types of initial accreditation 


Apply for Conditional accreditation if you are in your final year of an accredited undergraduate or graduate entry teaching degree, 


Apply for Provisional accreditation if you have successfully completed an approved teaching degree. 

To gain Initial Accreditation, documents you will need are: 

Documents you will need: 

  • certified copies of your university transcripts and awards for completed qualifications (evidence of current enrolment does not need to be certified) 
  • certified copies of 100 points of identification (eg NZ passport, birth certificate, driver licence) as well as any change of name documents (eg marriage certificate) 

Create an online account with NESA here.  

  1. Log in to your account and update your details. 
  1. Complete and submit the declaration task. 
  1. Complete and finalise your Statement of Accreditation task. You must upload the following relevant documentation and then ‘Save and Proceed’ to the next step: 
  1. Proof of identity: 100 points required (PDF, 1 page, 200BK) 
  1. Additional information, eg Working with Children Check (mandatory), visa and offer of employment (if applicable). 
  1. Your qualifications (create a new entry for each qualification, and upload transcripts) 
  1. Save and submit 

Now you are cleared and able to teach in independent schools in NSW. If you are going to be living around the inner West/ Marrickville/ Randwick / Bondi / Coogee/ Zetland you will get enough work in the independent sector. 

If you want to work in public schools, you next need to be approved to teach by the NSW Department of Education, this take a further 1 to 2 weeks.  

Gaining Approval to Teach