If you currently hold an overseas teacher education qualification (excluding New Zealand), you will need to submit an Application for Assessment of Qualifications to determine if they meet the minimum prescribed qualifications requirements.

An assessment of overseas teaching qualifications is the first step in the process to determine eligibility for registration as a qualified teacher in South Australia. The assessment of overseas teaching qualifications is completed in accordance with the Board’s minimum prescribed qualification requirements for registration as a teacher.


Assessment of Overseas Teaching Qualifications

You will need to complete the Application for Assessment of Qualifications, provide payment of the assessment fee, and attach certified copies of your:

  • Passport and birth certificate
  • Change of name document (e.g. marriage certificate), if applicable
  • Official academic transcript (sometimes called an academic record, statement of results or mark sheet) for each of your qualifications
  • Degree parchment for each of your qualifications
  • The minimum duration of supervised teaching practice within a teacher education qualification is 45 days*

*If your academic transcript does not show how much supervised teaching practice you completed during your studies, you will need to provide evidence of this in another form. You must provide a signed letter from the university that awarded you the qualification (not an affiliated College of Education) or provide a copy of the course syllabus for the year that you completed the qualification.


Your application can be submitted by post, or in person, at the Board’s office. We will not accept electronic (emailed) copies of applications or supporting documents.

It may take up to six weeks for the Board to assess your qualifications. Once completed, you will receive a report detailing the outcome of your assessment and the reasons for the decision.

If your qualifications are assessed as meeting the Board’s requirements for teacher registration, you can lodge an Application for Teacher Registration form.

For further information, please refer to the Application for Teacher Registration Guidelines.