If you’re thinking about migrating to Australia but you don’t know where to start, anzuk Education, in partnership with Visa Bureau, has got you covered!

Boasting 10 weeks annual leave and a first year graduate wage starting at AUD$64,000 ($100,000 for those more experienced), teaching in Australia a great prospect. With wide open spaces and an enviable outdoor lifestyle, Australian schools enjoy extensive facilities, both for students and staff.

There are many full time, part time and supply teaching jobs available throughout all states of Australia, and our partners Visa Bureau can help you with your visa requirements.

You can discuss job market information and teaching opportunities with anzuk Education at Visa Bureau’s Australian Migration Seminars across the UK. This is also a great opportunity to meet relocation service providers in banking, money transfer, shipping, healthcare and more.

Together with Visa Bureau, we have answered the most common questions received about teaching in Australia and visa requirements.

What can I expect to earn as a Teacher in Australia?

Salaries for educators vary, depending on the state, type of role and experience. Casual Relief Teachers are paid either an hourly or daily rate that varies from $317.00 to $390.00 per day (depending on experience and location), while educators in permanent full-time employment earn an average of $64K per year (graduates) with experienced teachers enjoying up to and beyond $100K per year.

State pay scales:

Do I need to complete an English test?

Educators are not required to complete an IELTS or other English Language test to apply for teaching registration/accreditation in Australia unless they completed their teaching qualification outside of Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Canada and the United States. For more information about state-based requirements for teaching, please visit the anzuk Education website.

The primary reason applicants complete an English test is to claim additional points towards their skilled visa. While holding a UK passport meets the English criteria for a skilled visa, this will not award you points. Given that the minimum points threshold for a skilled visa is 65, the majority of applicants will complete a recognised English test to claim and extra 10 or 20 points towards their visa.

What are my visa options as a Teacher?

There are three main visa pathways which allow you to live and work in Australia.

  1. Working Holiday Visa
  2. Temporary Skill Shortage Visa
  3. Skilled Visa

Each visa category has unique visa criterion and conditions, so it’s advisable to seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying

Where are the teaching jobs?

International educators, especially UK-trained educators with a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree or equivalent, will be able to find employment opportunities in each Australian State.

For UK imports the majority of opportunities can be located in the state of Victoria. Most educators sourcing employment through anzuk Education relocate to Melbourne or Geelong enjoying CRT (supply teaching), short term contracts and permanent opportunities in Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary education as well as Special Needs.

Secondary Education Teachers specialising in STEM subjects are in high demand right across the country, with any educator type and method in high demand across regional and rural Australia. anzuk can be found in Western Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland with opportunities in the Northern Territory and New Zealand.

How do I get teaching registration?

Before you can start working as a Teacher in Australia you must be approved by the state licensing board and provide working with children clearances. You should allow approximately 10 weeks for your teaching registration and appropriate checks to be approved.

Registration to teach and working with children clearances are managed independently from state to state as follows:

When is the best time to send a CV to anzuk?

The best time to get in touch with anzuk is as soon as you decide to move abroad. anzuk Education can provide you with a tailored service up to and beyond your departure from the UK, ensuring that you are fully supported at every step and ready for work as soon as you touch down into Australia.

If you’re more than 12 months away from moving abroad, send through your CV so our consultants can identify your strengths and experience and where anzuk can assist you with opportunities. 3-6 months prior to your departure, you’ll be asked to update your CV to include your most recent/current employment so that your consultants can begin the process of sourcing employment opportunities for you in the area that you will be living, based on your career and lifestyle preferences.

You can discuss your visa options with a Registered Migration Agent by completing a free online assessment or attending a Migration Seminar in London, Manchester or Edinburgh.