As Coronavirus changes global movement, many people are left wondering how this impacts their plans to emigrate to Australia. Below, Licensed Migration Agent, Darren Chatt, answers some of your most frequently asked questions.


Can I travel to Australia?

The Australian border is currently closed to most people, such as holidaymakers and other temporary visa holders.

However, Australia is allowing access to those outlined below:

  • Australian citizens
  • Australian permanent residents
  • New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia
  • Immediate family of an Australian citizen or permanent resident (dependent child, legal guardian or spouse/de- facto)
  • Additional exemptions as determined by the Commissioner

Everyone entering Australia will be required to quarantine for 2 weeks immediately upon arrival. You should refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for full details.


Can I apply for my Australian visa?

Australian visas are still being processed, however wait times for offshore applications have extended considerably.

It is worth noting that many visa applications have a one year entry date, meaning you have 12 months from the date of your visa grant before you must enter Australia. This includes working holiday, skilled, parent and partner visas.

Furthermore, skilled visas typically take 6-8 months of preparation and processing before they are ready for lodgement. Similarly, parent and partner visas can take time to gather all required documents.


What if I can’t travel to Australia and activate my visa before the initial entry date?

The Department of Home Affairs recognises that travel plans have been disrupted by Coronavirus, meaning visa holders may not be able to activate their visas before the specified date. The MIA advised that “…generally the Department will not seek to cancel a Skilled visa where the only reason for doing so would be breach of this condition related to the COVID-19 Pandemic.” You can read more about activating your skilled visa on the Visa Go Australia website. If you require Australian visa advice then you can speak with an experienced licensed migration agent at Visa Go Australia. See if you qualify for an Australian visa here:


For further support or information, you can contact our global opportunities team based in London. Direct your email to Carly on