September, it’s that time of year for Victorian teachers – Time to renew your teaching registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Even if you are enjoying a stint of teaching in the UK it is important to keep your VIT Registration current to avoid any further fees or issues down the track, especially if you hold a Full Registration.  Renewing your VIT for the first time can be confusing, especially while teaching abroad. Here is a list of FAQ that we hear from our Aussie teachers.


What happens if I don’t renew my registration while teaching abroad?

To remain registered, you must complete all registration tasks and pay the relevant fee by the 30th of September each year. If you do not make your payment by this date, you will incur a late processing fee. VIT will mail your invoice to you mid-August and you will be sent a reminder email and text message in September.  

If you do not renew your registration by the cut-off date, you will be given a 3-month grace period and will be able to teach in Victoria until December 31st of the current year. After this time, your name will be removed from the register and you will not be able to work in a Victorian school or Early Childhood setting. You will then have to reapply with VIT, which will require additional paperwork including any relevant international police checks.

Once renewal tasks are complete and payment has been made, your expiry date will change on the public register and your new card will be sent to you within 20 days.


Professional Development – “VIT has asked me to tick a box if I have participated in any PD’s since 1st October (last year), but I have been doing supply in London since then. I am unsure about what to do for this section.”

As a Fully registered teacher in Victoria, you are required to complete at least 20 hours of PD each registration year. This is relevant for you, even if you have been teaching in the UK. PD completed overseas can be used but it must be referenced to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST).  Provisionally registered teachers are not required to complete set hours of PD to renew their registration.

Some examples of Formal PD

  • Mentoring colleagues
  • Seminars and conferences, workshops and online learning (e.g. online modules and Webinars). anzuk provides opportunities throughout the year for both online webinars and live workshops
  • Action research projects within your workplace
  • PD days at your workplace
  • Short courses, multi session PD, post-graduate study

How Formal PD can be evidenced

  • Log of activities e.g. MyPD
  • Certificate of participation or attendance
  • PD provider’s signature
  • Verification of attendance by an employer or professional learning coordinator
  • Transcript of course results

Some examples of Informal PD

  • Professional reading: journals, research papers, books, reports
  • Collegiate meetings/professional conversations focusing on improving practice and outcome of learners
  • Participation in education related boards, committees or panels
  • Resource Research

How Informal PD can be evidenced

  • Log of activities e.g. MyPD
  • Minutes of meetings
  • Record of date/time and reflection of learning
  • Colleague’s signature

For more information about PD requirements, please check the VIT website


Moving from Provisional to Full registration

Provisional registration is granted for 2 years from the date of approval. If you are provisionally registered and your expiry date is approaching, you have the option to either apply for your FULL registration or submit a reapplication for provisional registration.  

In order to move to full registration you must:

  • Have taught for a total of at least 80 days in one or more Australian or New Zealand schools of early childhood services.
  • Provide evidence that you have met the APST at the Proficient Teacher level using the inquiry approach


You can read more about moving to Full registration including FAQ’s here.


I have been teaching abroad and am unable to move to full registration within the 2 years. What do I do in this instance?

You may reapply for another period of provisional registration by logging into your MyVIT account and completing a ‘Form R’. This will be assessed by VIT and you will need to submit detailed information outlining:

  • Why you have been unable to complete the inquiry approach/apply for full registration (e.g. you have been teaching in the UK for an extended period of time)
  • How you intend to complete this in the next period of provisional registration
  • Any other exceptional circumstances


For any further support on applying for your VIT registration, contact Carly on